Bobbie the Safety Boat returns to school this spring, visiting grade 2 and 3 students in four more elementary schools. The schools being visited this year are Bastion and Hillcrest in Salmon Arm, Sorrento and North Shuswap. Last year Bobbie classes at Parkview School in Sicamous, Carlin School in Tappen, North Canoe and South Broadview Schools in Salmon Arm.
Students are introduced to RCM-SAR and what our volunteers do to keep people safe on Shuswap and Mara Lakes. The program emphasizes these Six Boating/ Water Safety Rules:
- Always wear your PFD, ’cause kids don’t float!
2. Never ride on the bow of the boat, ‘cause you might fall in and you might not float!
3. If someone falls in, and they can’t swim, reach or throw – but never go in!
4. We should all learn to swim.
5. Always swim with a buddy in a supervised area.
6. Look before you leap.
Bobbie also talked about hypothermia and water pollution. They were reminded to put garbage in its place.
An important focus of the lesson is personal flotation device use and awareness. Students were shown samples of many types, sizes and colors of PFD’s. Students were instructed on how to choose the correct size and put it on correctly. The importance of the crotch strap was also stressed. To conclude students were given the task of choosing a PFD from a pile, choose the correct size, put it on properly and then be inspected by one of the instructors.