Due to COVID-19, Bobbie the Safety Boat has been in self-isolation and unable to visit schools. Once school visits are approved, Bobbie plans to visit all grade 2 and 3 students in the elementary schools. Bobbie has missed being with the students, but now is the time when all of us need to be safe. Remember to be kind to each other.
When Bobbie does return to school, students are introduced to RCMSAR and what our volunteers do to keep people safe on Shuswap and Mara Lakes. The program emphasizes these Six Boating/ Water Safety Rules:
1. Always wear your PFD, ’cause kids don’t float!
2. Never ride on the bow of the boat, ‘cause you might fall in and you might not float!
3. If someone falls in, and they can’t swim, reach or throw – but never go in!
4. We should all learn to swim.
5. Always swim with a buddy in a supervised area.
6. Look before you leap.
Bobbie also talks about hypothermia and water pollution. Students are reminded to put garbage in its place.